- Review sentences sentence structure (compound & complex sentences) and address sentence errors (fragment and run on), dependent and independent clause
- Grammar (SUPPLEMENTAL): subject/predicate (both complete and simple, and compound subjects/predicates), nouns, proper nouns, action verbs, adjectives, pronouns, linking verbs, possessive nouns, subject/verb agreement, adverbs, propositional phrases, appositives, proper adjectives ~NOTE: Grammar review is supplemental and includes video component only.
- Mechanics of dialogue and purposeful dialogue
- Parts of a paragraph & writing a paragraph
- How to choose an appropriate writing form.
- Writing a business letter (includes format and composition)
- The writing process (prewrite, draft, revise, edit/publish)
- Use the writing process to compose narrative, descriptive, expository, and persuasive writing in formal formats including paragraph, essay and business letter; informal format such as a friendly letter
- Research Project/Paper
- Effective writing skills: strong details, transitions, beginning/middle/end concept, logical sequence of events, variety of sentence structure, and use of figurative language including simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, imagery; vivid language
- Revision: word choice (use of a thesaurus), using strong details, a variety of sentence structure in writing, & figurative language when appropriate, adding dialogue when appropriate